Summits on the Air (SOTA) is an award scheme for radio amateurs and shortwave listeners that encourages portable operation in mountainous areas. SOTA has been carefully designed to make participation possible for everyone - this is not just for mountaineers! There are awards for activators (those who ascend to the summits) and chasers (who either operate from home, a local hilltop or are even Activators on other summits).
SOTA is now fully operational in many countries across the world. Each country has its own Association which defines the recognised SOTA summits within that Association. Each summit earns the activators and chasers a score which is related to the height of the summit. Certificates are available for various scores, leading to the prestigious "Mountain Goat" and "Shack Sloth" trophies. An Honour Roll for Activators and Chasers is maintained at the SOTA online database.
SOTA is designed to be compatible with other mountain users. Please see our environmental statement for details.
- Learn how to get involved
- Catch up on real time information on who is activating what mountains!
- See a full list of Associations to find out which countries are involved
- See the Activator & Chaser Honour rolls at the SOTA Database
- Browse & Search through the full list of SOTA summits
- Find out more about the structure and management of SOTA
HF Antenna on GW/NW-047 by MW0IDX.
See these photographs and more at the SOTA Flickr Group